Do not get me wrong here folks I am not bragging about my finances, not one bit. I do understand that some people may not agree with this post on the basis of…”Everyone does not have it like you, Travis.” Which I totally understand but just like them I do not have it like others! I have put in my work and will continue to do so.This is a simple post about how I feel when it comes to my generations finances and how they need to be better! Along with what can be done to have better finances. A lesson may be taught from this. Yes, you may have something that is above zero but do you know how to spend it? So you saying “I got money” will be “I had money” in a few right?
Within our generation and I am speaking for the 90s babies majority of us do not know how to save money or what to do it (from what I have seen). Unless it is something illegal (weed) or something that is not a must-have such as sneakers, then we will spend our money on that faster than we will spend it on buying a car or anything else that is deemed important. How do I know? At one point I was guilty of this and some of my friends were too. So who put me on point? My oh so wonderful mother also known as The Finance Bar. Some of us have grown out of it due to it happening within our younger years! “What are you getting at Travis?” is what you may be asking. What I am getting at is that….IT IS TIME TO GROW UP PEOPLE!!! It is time for us to grow our money! Yes, I know it can be hard. But are you willing to sacrifice? That is what it is all about. For example, if you do not know I am a military guy so I have spent overall maybe three months of time just dealing with military stuff. As a result, I did not see my friends and family, missed out on parties…I EVEN MISSED OUT ON MY UNIVERITY’S HOMECOMING AND WE HAD WALE THAT YEAR!!! Aside, from that when I was in high school I worked at Chick-Fil-A, and if I could help it I would work every day other then Sunday, of course, to make sure I had that extra cash. That was around the time I figured out how to pay for skip lines at parties. Yea, I am that guy….RIGHT UP INTO THE PARTY I GO!!! I refuse to wait outside and you should too. It was all because I saved and I am not the only one who has done it! I know plenty of people who put in that extra work and you can too. You wanna know what you can do? Let me tell you:
- Limit your spending habit. A budget is always good to have.
- Whatever you receive put 10% of it in your…SAVINGS ACCOUNT!! That is what it is there for… to save.
- Know when to say “no” to outings. If you do not have it you do not have it. (Not having it does not mean broke it means that whatever it it does not fit within your financial goals)
- If you work take up some extra shifts. Maybe another job if you are able to. There is nothing wrong with the “you are always at work” it’s because you are always at the bank. HA!! (College students finding an on-campus job saves gas and time)
- If you are willing to make a time to sacrifice and commit, join the military either full-time or part-time. Unless your job calls for it….YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WAR!!!
- Stop buying clothes for every single party! No one likes a broke socialite.
- Illegal substances and alcohol you do not and I repeat do not….NEED THEM!!
Those are just a couple tips I do myself and they work for me. I have had those late nights and nights where I wanted to give up but you can’t. Use this year to get to those #lifegoals that you post on IG. Overall folks, it is time to put in real work which is sacrificing just a little bit. You will thank yourself and your bank account later!
I SPOKE ON IT!!